You all may have heard about Charter Spectrum routers, renting routers from your internet service providers. You may find it great to know that the charter spectrum charges no monthly fee for their routers.
But, then you’ll think how’s that possible, not charging any payment for their modem. The catch is that they’ll make you pay for your Wi-Fi usage instead of monthly rent for their router.
Another thing to consider when renting a charter spectrum router is the option of buying your router. You can also purchase and use your router instead of renting one. Buying your router means you can use a router of your own choice. You’re free to choose a router that comes with the features you wish to utilize. It also eliminates the burden of rental fee every month.
While using rental charter spectrum router means you’ll have to pay an extra rental fee every month for a router of their choice with no significant features. The rented router is going to be obsolete, where you can’t enjoy HD streaming or lag-free gaming. Anyways, it’s up to you if you want to buy your router or rent one, do as you desire. Now, let’s dig in to see some of the best Charter Spectrum Approved Routers and Modems. It also is known as Combo modem router works in both way, you can use as a cable modem or Wi-Fi Router.
If you can’t differentiate between a router and modem or you can’t choose the best spectrum router for yourself, skip to the end to see that buying guide.
- Smart Wi-Fi Router: NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 at Amazon
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router for Home: Linksys EA7500
- Cable Modem/Router Combo: ARRIS SURFboard
- Best Combo Router: NETGEAR (R6700)
- Best Cable Modem Router: NETGEAR N600
- Best Wireless Router Combo: ASUS AC2900
- Best Cable Moden Under $100: NETGEAR Cable Modem CM600
- Best Charter Spectrum Router: MOTOROLA Cable Modem
- Certified Modem for Comcast XFINITY: TP-Link TC-7610
- Combo Modem Router Charter Spectrum: MOTOROLA MG7540
- Arris Combo Modem: ARRIS Surfboard (SBG10)
- Best Wi-Fi router combo: ARRIS SURFboard SBG6950AC2
“A great way to get started with smart combo router without spending a lot of money up front.”
“Features dual-band 3×3 802.11ac Wi-Fi technology that lets you multitask with ease.”
“3-in-1 fastest router includes a Cable Modem, Wi-Fi access point, and a four-port Gigabit Ethernet router.”
“Fastest Wi-Fi router that sends Wi-Fi signals up to 1,500 sq ft.”
“N600 supports eight downloads and four upstream channels for high-speed internet access”
“A perfect router for ultra-fast lag-free gaming and HD streaming.”
“A budget-friendly modem router that’s surprisingly best for gaming”
“Motorolla MB7420 features DOCSIS 3.0, offering sixteen times faster transfer rates than DOCSIS 2.0”
“TP -Link TC-7610 is compatible with many major cable providers like XFINITY, Charter Spectrum, Cox”
“Best dual band modem features 2.4GHz band, and a 5GHz band”
“Featuring Beamforming technology that deliver strong Wi-Fi signals to every cornor of your home”
“Features a clean dashboard to configure easily.”
You wanna go upgrade mean need a high-speed router that can fast blaze your internet speed then must check out Wi-Fi 6 Ax routers.
Combo Modems For Time Warner & Spectrum
Mostly charter spectrum continually encourages people to rent a wireless modem router form them but actually, you can buy the best modem router for your own. Because;
- You Will Get Better Performance.
- Save More Money On Rental Fees.
- Better Extended Coverage.
- You Can Have More Control Over Your Home Network.
Better performance means you will have full control over your home internet speed and capacity you need for your household. The best router is able to fully utilize the speed you getting from the spectrum. You need to decide what security and privacy you acquire from your router.
Minimum Spec For Spectrum Routers
If you are going for standalone cable modem or wireless router for the charter spectrum you must consider these points when buying one.
For Wireless Router:
- Your Router must be an 802.11ac (newest WiFi standard).
- Must have Gigabit LAN ports (10/100/1000 Mbps) to connect other wired devices.
- Dual-Band WiFi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) Must Be Recommended.
For Standalone Modem:
- Your Modem Must Be Recommended By Charter Spectrum.
- Must have at least DOCSIS 3.0.
- 16 bonded channels (for download) e.g 16×4 DOCSIS 3.0 are best for Cable Modem.
What Band Router You Should Get.
There are mainly two types of Dual-Band or Tri-Band connections. The dual-band provides a signal from 2.4GHz or 5GHz band, giving router more ability to handle more devices. While Tri-band has an extra 5GHz, you should get at least a dual-band router to get the best speed and least traffic.
1. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6
"Smart Wi-Fi Router"
- 3.0Gbps-Fast combined WiFi speed for uninterrupted streaming
- Tri-Band WiFi delivers more WiFi for more devices
- 1GHz dual-core processor delivers lag-free gaming
- Dynamic QoS bandwidth prioritization by application and device
- Six high-performance antennas & powerful amplifiers maximize range
The Nighthawk X6-AC3000 is a Tri-band Wi-Fi Gigabit router with 1GHz dual-core processor that delivers speed up to 3Gbps for lag-free gaming and smooth streaming. Its tri-band Wi-Fi is capable of connecting more devices with faster speeds. It also offers Dynamic QoS bandwidth prioritization for a specific device to enjoy all the bandwidth.
The X6-AC3000's Tri-band Wi-Fi and six powerful antennas with powerful amplifiers provide strong Wi-Fi signals to a large area. The Dynamic QoS prioritization is heaven for gamers, which intelligently prioritize bandwidth to specific devices for ultra-fast internet. Features like SmartConnect and Beamforming makes sure to provide smooth and buttery HD streaming.
The AC3000 offers connectivity through its five Ethernet ports and one USB 3.0 port. The five Ethernet ports feature one WAN and four LAN. It can also support VPN. The Nighthawk AC6000 router takes minutes to set up through the Nighthawk app, enabling you to run speed tests, pausing, and resuming the internet and other features, all from your mobile.
2. Linksys EA7500
Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router for Home
- Dual-band WiFi speeds up to 1.9 Gbps
- Bandwidth for 15+ devices
- Up to 1,500 sq. ft. of WiFi coverage
- MU-MIMO Technology
- USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet Ports for Fast Wired Connection
The Linksys AC1900 is one the best WiFi router promising speeds up to 1.9Gbps. The 2.4 GHz band offers to speed up to 600Mbps, and the 5GHz band provides speed up to 1300Mbps. The 5GHz band, providing speed up to 1300Mbps, is perfect for high-paced gaming HD streaming. Other Wi-Fi devices with normal activities are assigned to the second 2.4GHz band. Powered by MU-MIMO technology, the AC1900 offers bandwidth for up to fifteen devices and provides Wi-Fi coverage up to 1,500 sq ft.
The AC1900 packs Beamforming technology that sends strong signals to specific devices instead of sending it in every direction. The Beamforming technology helps in providing faster speeds and better Wi-Fi coverage. The AC1900 offers connectivity through its USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports. The USB 3.0 enables you to connect external devices and transfer data ten times faster than USB 2.0 ports. The USB 3.0 ensures ultra-fast wired connection for lag-free and smooth gaming.
The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app helps you manage your router from anywhere. It lets you have full control of your router with features like parental controls, prioritizing devices, and guest access. The router can be set up quickly through the smart app compatible with both iOS and Android.
3. ARRIS SURFboard
"Cable Modem/Router Combo"
- Equipped with a DOCSIS 3. 0 cable Modem
- 802. 11AC 1900 Mbps Wi-Fi dual Band router
- No more buffering while streaming HD video.
- Download speeds up to 686 Mbps and Wi-Fi speeds up to 1900 Mbps
- 3 in 1 Router: 16x4 Cable Modem, AC1900 WiFi Router and Gigabit 4 port Wired Router
The SURFboard SBG-6900AC is a 3-in-1 fastest router that includes a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, Dual-band concurrent AC Wi-Fi access point, and a four-port Gigabit Ethernet router. The SBG-6900AC features sixteen downstream channels and four upstream channels with download speeds up to 686Mbps and up to 1900Mbps Wi-Fi speeds. The four Gigabit Ethernet port makes sure to provide ultra-fast wired internet connection for a smooth gaming experience.
Powered by Beamforming, the 6900AC ensures high-speed connectivity with better coverage. The Beamforming technology sends signals in specific directions of the devices to remove dead spots from every corner of your house.
4. NETGEAR Nighthawk (R6700)
"Best Combo Router Reviews"
- Dual band up to 450 plus 1300 Mbps
- Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor
- Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols
- Up to 1,500 sq. ft of powerful WiFi coverage
- Best HD streaming and online gaming
- Extreme Wi-Fi speed for gaming up to 1750Mbps
The Nighthawk AC1750 is the fastest Wi-Fi router that delivers high-performance and a reliable internet connection to every corner of your house. The AC1750 promises speed up to 1750 Mbps for ultra-fast gaming and streaming. This smart router intelligently splits devices into two bands to minimize traffic and provide a high-paced internet connection. It can connect up to twenty-five devices for a seamless Wi-Fi connection.
The AC1750 is powered by Beamforming technology that sends Wi-Fi signals to every device in your house and coverage up to 1,500 sq ft. It also features NETGEAR Armor multi-layer security software that protects your router and devices from virus attacks and theft. It supports connectivity through its four Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 3.0 port. The four-gigabit ports ensure ultra-fast wired connection for lag-free gaming.
The NETGEAR AC1750 can be easily set up within minutes through the Nighthawk app; the app lets you run through some easy steps to complete the setup. The app enables you to easily manage smart parental controls with features like filtering websites, time limits for devices, and router schedules.
5. NETGEAR N600
"Best Cable Modem Router"
- Cost effective – Eliminate monthly fees
- N600 Dual Band WiFI – 300+300Mbps
- Supports 8 download & 4 upload channels
- Supports 8 download & 4 upload channels
- Fast self-activation for XFINITY customers - get connected without a service call
- Better Range – WiFi coverage for large homes.
The NETGEAR N600 is a 2-in-1 router with a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and a dual-band Wi-Fi router offering speeds up to 300Mbps on both of the bands. The DOCSIS 3.0 offers eight times faster speeds than its previous version. The N600 supports eight downloads and four upstream channels for high-speed internet access. The Push n Connect button enables you to connect easily, and Wi-Fi/power ON/OFF is suitable for power saving.
The N600 offers wired connectivity through its two Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 2.0 port. The Gigabit Ethernet wired connection is suitable for lag-free gaming and HD streaming. It also features WPA/WPA2 security for secure internet connections. It also offers separate and safe access for guests through the Guest Network Access feature. The N600 is easy to install through its app compatible with both Android and iOS.
6. ASUS AC2900 Dual-band
"Best Wireless Router Reviews"
- Designed for lag-free online gaming and 4k UHD Streaming
- MU-MIMO technology
- Equipped with 1. 8GHz 32bit dual-core processor
- NitroQAM delivers 5GHz quad-stream
- AiProtection with Parental Control
The ASUS AC2900 one the best Wi-Fi router, featuring a 1.8GHz 32bit dual-core processor providing transfer speeds up to 2900Mps. The 5GHz quad-stream band with NitroQAM technology that delivers speeds up to 2167Mbps that is perfect for ultra-fast lag-free gaming and HD streaming. The AC2900 features MU-MIMO technology that gives every compatible device its dedicated speed without congesting the network.
Moreover, the Adaptive QoS allows you to prioritize your device for maximum bandwidth, so you enjoy the smooth and buttery gaming experience. The RT-AC86U supports wired connection through its four Gigabit LAN ports and one USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 port. The AC2900 is packed with the AiProtection security system that protects your connected devices from virus attacks.
Manage your router easily with the ASUS Router app and ASUSWRT user interface that enables you to control several advanced options. You can set up your network, parental controls, and get notifications about network-based events. To get the most out of your wireless router, the connected device must be 802.11ac compatible.
7. NETGEAR Cable Modem CM600
"Best Cable Moden Under $100"
- High-speed cable Internet, up to 960Mbps
- Cable Provider Compatibility: Certified for Xfinity by Comcast
- Modem Technology: DOCSIS 3.0 and 16x4 Channel Bonding
- Save up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees
The NETGEAR CM600 Cable Modem is built for high speeds up to 400Mbps and compatible with Charter Spectrum and other major cable providers. Simply connect any Wi-Fi router with the CM600's Ethernet port to support your wireless devices. It features DOCSIS 3.0 offers ultra-fast transfer speeds. The CM600 packs twenty-four download and eight upstream channels for high-paced speeds. It supports ultra-fast wired connections through its 1 Gigabit Ethernet port.
The CM600 Combo Modem can be set up within minutes through easy three steps. You just have to plug the coax cable into the modem and connect an Ethernet cable to your computer for an on-screen setup. The last step is to connect an Ethernet cable between the Wi-Fi router and modem to complete the installation.
8. MOTOROLA Cable Modem
"Best Charter Spectrum Router"
- Speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0.
- Comcast Business for speeds up to Deluxe 250, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse
- Save rental charges of $120 or more per year
- DOCSIS Channel Bonding: 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0
The MOTOROLA MB7420 is a cable modem with sixteen downloads and four upstream channels providing speeds up to 686Mbps. It eliminates the monthly rental fees burden and provides a high-speed and reliable internet connection. The MB7420 features DOCSIS 3.0, offering sixteen times faster transfer rates than DOCSIS 2.0. The Gigabit Ethernet Port provides an ultra-fast wired internet connection to any computer or router.
You can easily connect any router to the MB7420 through the Ethernet port for shared access by all your wireless devices. The connection can be easily set up with the coax cable, Ethernet cable, and power. It does not come with a built-in router like the other models. It is compatible with most of the major cable providers like Charter Spectrum, Comcast Xfinity, and others.
9. TP-Link TC-7610
"Certified Modem for Comcast XFINITY"
- Operating Style: Cable Modem Only
- Downstream Data Rate: Up to 343Mbps
- Comcast / Xfinity: Up to 214Mbps
- Spectrum (Charter, TWC, Bright House): Spectrum Internet
- COX Communications: Preferred 100
- Network: IP ICMP ARP
The TC-7610 Cable Modem features DOCSIS 3.0 with eight downloads and four upstream channels, providing speeds up to 34Mbps. It is suitable for high-paced lag-free gaming and HD streaming. Eliminate yourself from the burdens of monthly rental fees with this certified cable modem. The TC-7610 includes multiple network security options to keep your network and connected devices protected. It supports the latest internet standards, like IPv4 and IPv6.
The DOCSIS 3.0 technology provides eight times faster transfer speeds than the DOCSIS 2.0. Its Gigabit Ethernet port offers even faster-wired connection. The TC-7610 is compatible with many major cable providers like XFINITY, Charter Spectrum, Cox, and many more. Easily set up the new cable modem, you need to open a browser window to start the online activation process automatically.
10. MOTOROLA MG7540
"Best Combo Modem Router Charter Spectrum"
- Best work on WiFi DFS frequencie
- Built-in high-speed WiFi router with AC1600 Wi-Fi
- Max security from Denial of Service attacks
- AnyBeam WiFi beamforming at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
The MG7540 cable modem is a DOCSIS 3.0 channel bonding with sixteen downloads and four upstream channels, providing speeds up to 686Mbps. The MG7540 comes with a built-in dual-band Gigabit router with four Gigabit Ethernet ports. Free yourself from the burdens of monthly rental fee with the MG7540 Cable Modem and built-in router for ultra-fast shared internet access. The MG7540 also features Beamforming technology that sends Wi-Fi signals into specific directions of your devices, ensuring better performance and coverage.
The built-in router comes with two bands, a 2.4GHz band, and a 5GHz band. A single band router cannot handle many devices and is often full of interference. In contrast, the dual-band routers split the internet connection with less interference and traffic on each of the band to provide you with a high-speed internet connection. Setting up the MG7540 is very easy because of reduced wires and adapters.
11. ARRIS Surfboard (SBG10)
"Best Arris Combo Modem"
- Best Combo Router Under Budget
- 2.4/5.0 GHz Dual-band Concurrent Wi-Fi Router
- 16 DOWNLOAD & 4 UPLOAD channels upto 300 Mbps
- A perfect choice for homes
- Compatible with U.S. cable internet providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity and others
The SURFboard SBG10 is a 2-in-1 product combining a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with a WI-Fi router. The Wi-Fi router comes with 802.11ac technology that offers high-speeds. It has sixteen downloads and four upstream channels, providing up to 686Mps DOCSIS speeds. The cable modem comes with advanced technology supporting IPv4 and IPv6 internet standards.
Furthermore, the SBG10 is compatible with many major cable providers like Spectrum, Cox, XFINITY, and many others. The Wi-FI routers support two Gigabit Ethernet ports for lightning-fast wired connections. Moreover, Beamforming technology enables it to send strong Wi-Fi signals to every corner of your house. There is no USB connectivity support on the SBG10.
The SBG10 has an easy setup method; you just need to connect the coaxial, Ethernet, and power cables. Furthermore, visit your ISP's page on your browser to activate your network. You can have an ultra-fast connection within minutes.
12. ARRIS SURFboard SBG6950AC2
"Best Wi-Fi router combo"
- DOCSIS Speeds: 686 Mbps
- Wi-Fi Speeds: AC1600 dual-band concurrent
- Best Security Measure for Children Saftey
- 16 DOWNLOAD & 4 UPLOAD channels upto 300Mbps
The ARRIS SURFboard SBG6950AC2 comes with a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and a Wi-FI router. The Wi-Fi router supports 802.11ac technology that provides better performance than its predecessors. It features sixteen downloads and four upstream channels for a high-paced network throughout your home with up to 686Mbps DOCSIS speeds. The modem and Wi-Fi router combo means fewer devices and fewer wires, enabling you to save space and money.
The SBG6950AC2 is compatible with many major cable providers, including Spectrum, XFINITY, and many more. The AC WI-Fi router has four Gigabit Ethernet ports for ultra-fast wired connection for lag-free gaming HD streaming. It also supports connectivity through its one USB port for high-paced data transfers.
Powered by Beamforming, the SBG6950AC2 sends strong Wi-Fi signals to every corner of your house or office. The set up of this network system is the same as any other ARRIS product. You simply need to connect the Ethernet, power and coaxial cable, and visit your ISP's activation page on a browser. Configure your Wi-Fi settings, and you'll be done within minutes.
What is different between a router and a modem?
The main difference between a router and a modem is that a router helps you connect your devices to the internet, while a modem provides you the internet.
A modem connects you to your Internet Service Provider and converts the signals from your ISP to a universal one than your computer can utilize. A modem is specifically compatible with the ISP, and a router is not. Your modem cannot run your Wi-Fi or create a LAN. It cannot split your internet connection to all your devices.
Moreover, a router hosts your Wi-Fi, creates a local area network, or even split your internet connection to all your devices. It can also connect you to a VPN. A router is not compatible with your ISP, so it cannot connect you to the internet directly or decode the signals from your ISP; it needs the help of a modem.
How do I access my spectrum Router?
There are several steps you should follow to get access to your spectrum router.
- First, you need to find your spectrum router password through the following steps.
Mostly used and default username and passwords are:
|(Leave blank here and type a password)||admin|
- After you have your credentials with you (username & password). Then open your browser and type one of these IP addresses.
- Proceed and enter the detail of your router IP address right in your browser address bar.
- After that send you a spectrum router detail username and password if prompted to do so by your router.
How to find the IP address of my spectrum?
First, you should know the router has two IP addresses, either an internal IP address or an external IP address.
- The router's internal IP address is simply used for login into your router to change port forwarding setting or you can configure your router name, password, etc.
- For external ID addresses, you can communicate with your online users and they can easily find you online when you give them your real IP address. This happens when you hosting a server.
- You can use online different sites to find your router IP or you can simply download any paid or free software, install on your computer.
How to Choose the Best Spectrum Router and what features to consider
If you have made the choice of buying your router instead of renting one, there are several things to take notice of when purchasing a router. Every router has several features, but its range, speed, and Wi-Fi standard are the key features to keep in mind.
The Wi-Fi standard should be 802.11ac, promising the speed of 802.11n standard thrice. You may not be able to get the desired theoretical speed, but it's an excellent choice to future-proof your network.
You should at least look for the number of bands in a router. You should at least buy a dual-band router if not a tri-band, more band gives your router the power to handle more devices with faster speeds. A dual-band router means you can either connect the 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz avoiding traffic.
The third key point to take notice of is its real-life speed. The speed of 802.11ac standard router depends on the number of antennas on the router and the interference between the router and devices.
Another important key factor to consider is the speed of your Ethernet port to accommodate the speed of your plan. If your Ethernet port isn't fast enough to sustain the speed of your plan, then your internet connection is damned.
The last but not the least key feature to consider is DOCSIS 3.0. The DOCSIS splits your internet connection to all your devices through wires. It has three groups: 1x, 2x, and 3x. The higher these groups, the faster download speeds you'll get. So, lookout for a router with at least DOCSIS 3.0 to get better performance.
Furthermore, before buying a router, make sure to check it on the list of Spectrum compatible routers.